If you missed the latest Data Center Dynamics Debate, you missed a lot!
Fortunately, it’s not too late to check out DCD’s most successful and well attended online debate. No matter what stage you’re at in modernizing the data center, this expert-level discussion will help you plan next steps.
Only 50% of the debate’s attendees had deployed containment or addressed the low-hanging fruit towards transforming into a modernized data center. I was part of an expert panel that gave them insight into:
- When modernization should be considered, best approaches and trends
- Benefits of modernization including improved monitoring, management and automation, higher availability and efficiency
- Moving from reactive- to condition- to proactive- and finally predictive-based maintenance to maximize infrastructure investment while obtaining the highest availability.
- Adoption of greener technologies is more widely accepted when they also improve resiliency and availability
- New technologies like EC fans can be deployed in both the white space as well as the heat rejection. This allows HVAC to run more efficiently with higher resilience.
- CFD modeling can be used to make ensure no single points of failure in cooling and airflow capacities to varied IT rack loads.
- Newer longer life battery solutions like Lithium Ion and kinetic energy stores can reduce maintenance costs while extending the life of your energy store.
- Conditioning power for the entire facility and making use of KVAR rather than losing it to ground or utility will yield big benefits.